• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Exercise and medications

Skelu

Bluelighter
This is my first actual post here (have been reading for some time). I am a 28 year old guy from Northern Europe. My story short: I started taking Tramadol for pain like 3 years ago. At first everything was like a dream; i had more energy than ever before, and i was in good mood all the time. My dosage was 400 mg per day in IR and ER forms. The only major problem was that i couldn’t sleep if i took it in the evening and the worst pain was always during the night time. So i started taking it like 300 mg in the early morning and 100 mg few hours before going to sleep. I was also RX:d Temazepam (1-2 20 mg) for sleeping and lyrica for nerve pain (3x 150 mg).

In the beginning when Tramadol gave me energy i started working out. I was doing just some basic muscle exercise at first but very soon i started taking things too far and broke my shoulder and some other places.

Some 11 months ago i experienced a total mental and physical breakdown. I started getting panic attacks that lasted for days. I stopped all the drugs i was taking (Tramadol 400mgxday, Lyrica 450mgxday, benzos i was using benzos like twice a week for sleeping). I also stopped smoking pot which i had been doing on a daily basis since i was 15. Now when i think that was maybe one of the worst decisions ever made by me. I felt like my whole body was burning. It took me 9 months to recover myself.

Now i am using Lyrica (300 mgxday), Ibuprof/codeine (0-4xday 200/30mg, Tizanidine (0-8mgxday) , Clonazepam (0-2mgxday, Pot (sometimes) . All the meds are legally prescribed for me (except pot) and i am taking those on much smaller quantities then prescribed. I am waiting for surgical operation on my shoulder.

I have been jogging (8-15km) 2-5 times a week and have also been training my muscles by using only my own bodyweight. Now i can’t do anything without a horrible pain in my shoulder. Physical exercise is like pure drug for me. 15km jogging equals 2mg clonazepam and few ibu/cod for me easily. I mean that the pain and muscle tension relieves much better by jogging then taking those medications.

Has anyone got any tips for me that how can i do any exercise without my right shoulder getting involved?

Hopefully you understand what i am trying to say. I know that my English is far from perfect.

Thanks

see an orthopedic doctor that specializes in sports injuries. he can recommend therapy that will help you regain maximum function in your shoulder. But don't be surprised if you simply cant do as much as you could before it was broken. you'll just have to learn to adapt.